The Tindall Foundation aims to plant the seeds for long term change
Over the past 20 years we are proud to have supported more than 5000 organisations across New Zealand with donations, capacity building, social loans and other strategic support. We do more than just giving away money: we offer our time and expertise, we connect people, we convene and we walk beside these organisations.
We have focused almost half of our entire donation spend (49%) on Supporting Families and Social Services, with over $61 million given in total in the last 20 years.
Our programme areas, Caring for our Environment and Encouraging Enterprise and Employment, each received over $18 million in donations. Organisations and initiatives that work Strengthening the Community Sector were given over $4.5 million, while the Promoting Generosity and Giving programme area received $3.3 million.
Our Trustees pledged $5 million to help Christchurch communities recover following the September 2010 and February 2011 earthquakes. To date we have spent around $2.7 million of this money through our Canterbury Earthquakes Recovery Fund. We have donated $1.6 million to Overseas projects.
Breakdown of Funding over the Past 20 Years
Donation Facts over the Past 20 Years
- The first donation was to Auckland Teacher’s College in February 1995, for $2,326
- The total amount of money we have funded and committed to New Zealand communities is over $135 million
- We committed $5 million to the recovery of Canterbury following the earthquakes
- Our current donations budget is $10–$12 million a year
- Through our central fund, our staff and Trustee team have made donations to over 1300 organisations nationally
- Our Funding Managers, who distribute funds to their local communities on our behalf, have made donations to 3738 organisations
Some of our greatest support went to:
- The New Zealand Housing Foundation, our most supported organisation, receiving $10 million in donations and social loans over a 16-year period
- Zero Waste New Zealand Trust, receiving donations of more than $4.5 million over a ten-year period Youth Employment, a major focus for us, with $5.6 million given to three projects
- Environmental projects, in line with our keen interest in protecting our waterways, forests and ecosystems for future generations. Some of our large donations include organisations such as Project Crimson, Hikurangi Foundation, Enviroschools and Carbon Farming Group